Friday 15 January 2016

Fun Machine

Three objectives for this song. First, to see how well my Tascam could be used to double as a mic for tracks on Reaper. I think it did a pretty good job. All the music on the song was recorded on the Tascam, and then the files were transferred to my laptop and put together in a Reaper project. There's some obvious background noise going on, but that's intentional. I chose to record several of the tracks while my washing machine was rumbling away right behind me. And, in fact, I could easily have eliminated the noise using a gate and a bit of EQ.

The second objective was to include all of my musical Christmas presents. That too was achieved. They're all on there in one form or another.

Finally, I wanted to connect A Message from the Bourgeoisie with my EDM Rough Cut because although they sound like chalk and cheese, they actually grew out of the same idea. That will become clearer once I get further on with the EDM piece. For now it should be obvious that they share the same chord structure and instrumental melody.

Finally, on a nerdy tech note, the recording allowed me to try out Reaper's adjustable playback speed. The initial tempo was set by the pattern I built on the Stylophone beat box (the bass, plus a few odd bleeps) and it was a bit too slow. I could've just altered the project tempo on Reaper and it would have squeezed all the audio files in the correct ratio while keeping the original pitch. But it was easier and more interesting to slightly increase the playback speed; that replicates the effect of speeding up a tape or record player: the pitch increases as well as the tempo. This time it was just used to give the song a bit more impetus, but I could definitely have more radical fun with it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment