Saturday 12 December 2015

A Message from the Bourgeoisie

Like I say, time let Exercise 2 settle for a bit. I'm quite chuffed with it, all things considered, but it's a bit slick and really the type of thing I'm supposed to be avoiding. At some stage I'm going to have to fuck it up. Kill your babies. But I'm too fond of it right now, so time to move on.

To that end, we have A Message from the Bourgeoisie. You might call it the anti-Exercise 2. Everything except the flute, kettle drum and guitar synth was recorded about a year ago when I downloaded Audacity (although I've extended and reordered the original a bit). Thing is, I couldn't get on with Audacity, even after trying to master it for several minutes. I recorded 30 seconds of clunky, laughably out of time music, added a few annoying whistle sounds and a single drum sample and gave up the whole thing as a bad job. But I dug it up yesterday just to see if there was anything salvageable and was delighted by what I heard. I think the fact that I was so obviously fighting a losing battle against the means of production added greatly to its charm for me (there's a Marxist joke in there somewhere). Added the above-mentioned bits and bobs (which all came courtesy of the fantastic collection of free virtual instruments found here), and it is what it is.


Yet again, it's not a finished article. There are at least two more parts to come – one a cheesy elctro-pop song and the other a piece of ecstatic dance music. You have to understand that my approach at this stage is simply to get down as much music as I can, and then to sift, rearrange, re-edit and remix the hell out of it. And then to select whatever strikes my fancy. So at the moment everything's grist to the mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment